Solutions and Technology Zone
Get a better understanding of the RMS(one) platform fundamentals, including data and analytics:
- Learn more about Risk Data Objects (RDO) and how to use the Analyst Console to interact using SQL-like dictions and syntax
- Experience how two game-changing innovations – Contract Definition Language (CDL), and Structure Definition Language (SDL) – support more flexible financial instruments and modeling
- See how the above capabilities work seamlessly to support key use cases for model change management, reinsurance structuring, and portfolio roll-up
Get hands-on experience with Exposure Manager on the RMS(one)® platform, and see what’s next:
- Gain insights from exposures and accumulations in a critical aspect of the risk management process
- Explore the available analytics and the importance of understanding exposed limits
- Learn how to work with hazard layers, ad hoc accumulation analyses, and risk analysis profiles
Get set for the release of Risk Modeler on the RMS(one)® platform:
- Experience the Risk Modeler workflow, including accessing and exchanging data, setting up analyses, creating structures, accessing models, and more
- See how Risk Modeler empowers efficient and transparent model validation, using the new Version 17 RiskLink models
- Explore the Analyst Console and see how it enables SQL, such as investigation of exposures and analysis
- Understand the new financial model and experiment with structures, positions, and contract definition language
Don’t miss this preview of the new Risk Enterprise functionality:
- Gain insight into how the RMS(one)® platform can address complex portfolio structures and contract interactions
- Work with contract definition language, structures, and positions to understand the new flexibility and scalability for working with hierarchical financials
- Understand how structures and positions enables large-scale portfolio roll-up and how it drives investigative analytics
Learn about best practices for accessing and utilizing RMS technology and information:
- See how Hosting Plus™ can provide stability, model access, and reduced downtime
- Meet the RMS Cloud Operations team to understand the benefits of leveraging the cloud for RMS products and services, including the RMS(one)® platform
- Discover how RMS Analytical Services can extend and compliment your team’s capabilities, providing data engineering and analytics directly to your business
The RMS(one)® platform
Questions on how best to adopt the RMS(one) platform? We have answers:
- Determine how to build your solution roadmap and take the risk out of the adoption journey
- Learn about important transitional service options including data migration
- Find out more about our APIs and integration options to help streamline and automate your operations depending on your business, operations, resources, and time frames
- Learn about our Model Evaluation Program and how it can provide access to the new HD models through the Model Evaluation Environment
Analytics for ILS
New insights into the latest offerings in Miu, the RMS ILS modeling solution:
- Learn how to enhance your understanding of the risk to ILS contracts
- See how to run cat bonds and other ILS instruments in real-time to output risk metrics on demand
- Understand how managers can run bespoke sensitivity analyses to recognize the underlying risk and reduce time to quote
- Find out how to relate risk to returns with a demonstration of the RMS valuations model for reinsurance
Innovation, Science, and Modeling Zone
Version 17 Solutions
This is your one-stop shop for an overview of everything that Version 17 features, including:
- Many new and updated models, as well as important new software and geocoding updates
- Information on performance, supported platforms, installation planning, and documentation
- How Version 17 fits in with the overall models and data roadmap
North America Earthquake Risk
Get answers to your questions about the new view of risk for the Version 17 North America Earthquake Models:
- Meet RMS model experts who can discuss the model changes for the United States, Canada, and Mexico
- Learn the latest on the USGS/Canada/Mexico source models, geotechnical and vulnerability updates, and what this means for your business
- Enhance your learning from the accompanying track sessions with supplementary material
North Atlantic and Hawaii Hurricane Risk
The latest in-depth analyses and insights on the Version 17 North Atlantic Hurricane Models:
- Talk one-on-one with RMS hurricane modeling experts to help you jumpstart your change management and validation work
- Complement your knowledge boost from the track presentations, and get answers to your follow-up questions, including the latest Medium Term Rates
Asia Pacific Strategies
Bring your questions and meet the experts knowledgeable about the Version 17 regional models:
- Get insights into why the Asia Pacific region is one of the future growth engines for the global (re)insurance industry
- Talk with experts about the recently released Japan Typhoon and New Zealand Earthquake HD models, and the planned release of the Japan Earthquake HD model
- Access more detailed information on the upcoming South Korea Typhoon, Taiwan Typhoon and Southeast Asia Earthquake models in Version 17
- Learn about the OYORMS tsunami model for Japan, based on the RMS Japan Earthquake model event set
(Re)insurance in the Caribbean and Latin America
Get the most recent in-depth analyses and insights on this growing industry:
- Explore why the insurance industry in the Caribbean and Latin America is rapidly evolving and a major growth region for RMS clients
- Complement the track sessions on this topic by talking one-on-one with members of the RMS Solutions and Modeling Teams who will give you their insights
Managing Global Flood Risk
Understand your flood risk modeling options and workflow for flooding throughout all regions:
- Receive hands-on planning from RMS experts tailored to your company’s processes and goals
- Get guidance and clarity regarding flood modeling best practices, and the methodology of the next generation of RMS flood models
- Discuss global flood events important to our industry, as well as the latest trends in the market
Managing Your Cyber Risk
Get the full story on how the RMS Cyber Accumulation Management System can help you manage your cyber risk:
- Find out how your portfolio may have greater exposure to systemic cyber attacks than ever before
- Learn how the RMS Cyber Accumulation Management System uses a series of deterministic cyber loss models to quantify your cyber exposure and risk
- Understand the extreme yet plausible scenarios in the RMS Cyber Accumulation Management System, such as a data breach that releases billions of confidential records or an attack on a power grid that leaves millions without power
- Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools in emerging nations and trains builders, homeowners, engineers, and government officials to build them.
- Understand how the insurance industry can help foster resilience in catastrophe-prone cities around the world
- Rebuilding Together is transforming the lives of low-income homeowners by improving the safety and health of homes and revitalizing communities
- Observe the organization’s strategy and programming for New Orleans as well as the rest of the United States
Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS)
- IBHS conducts innovative research into building science issues that affect the property insurance industry
- Come learn about their latest breakthroughs in hail-, wildfire-, and wind-related peril research
12:25 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Enhancing Urban Resilience: Managing Risk to Critical Infrastructure
As part of the Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities initiative, RMS has provided modeling expertise to support Mexico City in developing their resilience strategy. We will discuss how modeling risk to critical infrastructure can contribute to the design of efficient resilience strategies through the identification of priority assets, quantification of the cost-benefit of retrofit options, and assessment of the risk to complex transport and energy networks.
12:50 p.m. - 1:10 p.m.
Stories from the Field: Nepal Impact Trek with Build Change
RMS employees and our clients travel each year to work in partnership with the social enterprise Build Change. The goal is to help reduce deaths, injuries, and economic losses caused by housing and school collapses due to earthquakes and typhoons in emerging nations, such as Nepal and Haiti. Hear from a panel of Impact Trekkers who will describe their experiences and provide insights into the opportunities for building resilience in developing geographies.
1:15 p.m. - 1:35 p.m.
Role of Coastal Habitats in Managing Natural Hazards
Natural habitats play a significant role in reducing the risk of coastal flooding. A growing body of evidence is demonstrating that restoring natural defenses can be far more cost-effective in preventing damages from storms than grey or hardened shorelines, such as sea walls and levees. Explore how RMS is partnering with a team of leading scientists from the University of California at Santa Cruz, The Nature Conservancy, and the Wildlife Conservation Society, in association with Guy Carpenter and Company, to assess the flood reduction role of coastal habitats in insurance industry-based models. You’ll also learn how to identify innovative financial tools that could meet risk reduction and conservation goals.
12:15 p.m. - 12:35 p.m.
How Insurance Providers Can Build Resilience in Vulnerable Cities
Can non-governmental organizations help earthquake insurance professionals create viable products that mitigate risk in emerging nations? Build Change will share its in-depth experience in seismic retrofitting in vulnerable neighborhoods such as Haiti, Colombia, Nepal, and the Philippines. Join us as we explore how results from building vulnerability assessments, detailed retrofit and reconstruction costing, homeowner preference surveys, and construction supervision experience can contribute to more accurate risk modeling and higher penetration of disaster insurance in informal markets worldwide.
1:05 p.m. - 1:25 p.m.
Using Cat Models to Save Lives: Driving Adoption of Disaster Risk Auditing by International Agencies
In the 2015 UN-sponsored Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, national progress will be “monitored” based on comparing two decades of actual disaster mortalities and losses. However, we know disasters are too volatile for progress to be measured in this way (compare the quarter of a million killed by the 2010 earthquake in Port-au-Prince with the fewer than ten Haitian earthquake casualties since 1900). For the same reasons insurers needed catastrophe models to price and manage catastrophe risk, the international community needs the independent application of catastrophe models to measure progress around casualties and economic losses from disasters. Don’t miss this insightful presentation, led by Robert Muir-Wood, Chief Research Officer at RMS, who will discuss how using Cat models can save lives.
3:30 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.
Q&A Session: Meet Our Keynote Speaker Tanya Harris, Community Outreach Coordinator, Make It Right Foundation
Tanya Harris continues to be a beacon of hope in New Orleans after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. As someone who was born and raised in the Lower 9th Ward, Tanya has been a leader in the extensive rebuilding efforts and an advocate for the right of return for all residents of New Orleans. As chair of the Lower 9th Ward Neighborhood Council, Tanya has led organizing campaigns for fair wages, voting accessibility, and affordable housing. She was nominated for CNN’s AC360 “Keeping Them Honest” Award and was the recipient of the Tides Foundation’s 2007 Jane Bagley Lehman Award. We are excited and proud to have Tanya as this year’s keynote speaker.